Monday, December 8, 2008

Recession Pets


The vice president of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) says the current recession will hit pets hard, as their owners face difficult decisions. The numbers are staggering: During the Great Depression, 300,000 animals were turned in to animal shelters. A current estimate says 40,000 to 50,000 pets could be given up this year, and while more animals arrive at local shelters, funding for those shelters may be reduced. If you are considering adopting a pet, now would be an ideal time, but, a measure of caution is warranted - dogs cost an average of $1500 a year, and cats can cost $1,000 a year. Deciding to wait to adopt a pet is better than being forced to part with one, and if you're looking for a furry-friend fix, consider volunteering or donating at your local shelter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I got my first cat, Rocco, from a family. I then realised Rocco was a bit lonely when I was at work. A year later, I got Luca from London's famous Battersea Dogs & Cats Home. I would also advise people to weigh up the costs, like I did, before taking on another pet. Luca is adorable and I have now decided that all future pets will come from shelters. I think buying pets from breeders or pet stores is a really bad idea. Give a shelter animal a chance.